Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
AJR
2007-01-05 22:02:53 UTC
Would results of good old "ipconfig /all" be of value?
This is a follow-up post to a previous thread I posted titled "Networking
DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only" to which I have not
received a
satisfactory response.
All of the details can be found in the above mentioned thread but I will
summarize the main points of the problem again here for clarity.
* Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
v9.81.0.0, 11/10/2006, service name is b57w2k. I was using an earlier
driver (v9.52) when it stopped working; upgrading to the latest driver
(v9.81) made no difference.
* Was working fine under RC2, worked fine under RTM for about 1 week then
stopped working completely with the above network status
* Have tried Network Diagnose/Repair, disabling suspend mode, disabling
TCP
checksum offload, hibernate/resume, uninstalling/re-installing driver,
manullay setting TCP/IP configuration - problem persists
* No change to network configuration (router configuration, firewalls, or
otherwise) and other boxes on the same LAN continue to function and the
same
box when booted in Windows XP Pro operates fine so its not the NIC
* Nothing in the event logs to indicate a problem with the adapter or
networking
* System Information reports that the b57w2k service is "Stopped" and that
it's start mode is "Manual" so it seems for some reason the driver has
been
stopped and I have no idea why or how to restart it. Disabling/enabling
the
adapter has no affect nor does Network Diagnose/Repair.
HELP!!!!
David Bonnell
BMC Software, Inc
Dave Bonnell
2007-01-06 12:06:00 UTC
Yes I have, that is what I meant when I said "disabling suspend mode". I'll
try your suggestion of a system repair from the Vista installation DVD.

-Dave
Have you verified the NIC isn't set to allow the computer to turn it off to
save power?
(Power Management Tab in the Device Manager NIC Device properties UI).
I'd further suggest you perform an in-place repair using the original Vista
DVD media.
Stuart.
--------
BMC Software, Inc
Dave Bonnell
2007-01-06 12:11:00 UTC
The network configuration is correct. It's something else. Windows System
Information reports that the driver is stopped which I assume is not normal
but I will try to verify this on another working Vista system.

-Dave
BMC Software, Inc
David Hettel
2007-01-06 15:19:56 UTC
Well I don't have your hardware, but it looks to me that you are using a
driver design for Windows 2000 and not vista. Have you permitted vista to
connect to the internet and download the latest driver?
--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.
BMC Software, Inc
magnush
2007-09-03 21:00:39 UTC
I have exactly the same problem.

My nic is an onboard one from an asus p5k motherboard:
Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T
driver is atl01v64.sys

Windows Vista 64bit
It worked at first, then after a failed bios upgrading and reflashin
with eprom burner it stopped working. All I get now is Unidentifie
network. I have reinstalled the drivers in every way possible, I hav
removed the allow windows to shut it down. I have entered a mac addres
as a preset in the card config, I have unchecked ipv6 but nothing seem
to have an effect.

I have a physical firewall and that has been rebooted, it has bee
shutoff for half an hour, I have tried without it but to no avail. I ca
see that I am sending packets but I am not receiving any. I only get th
169.. adress. I have entered a correct ip address in the tcp/ip setting
with and without gateway yet am unable to ping anything on my lan (sam
thing, sending packets not receiving any).

I use an usb wireless card from zyxel, that is what gives me interne
access atm but I am not overly fond of wireless, in fact I loath it.

What I do have are tunnel interfaces, dont know what they are for?

C:\Users\Magnus>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d4d7:3e7d:4b9a:bba8%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 85.226.199.xx removed o
purpose

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.83.30
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.83.30%11

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . .
fe80::200:5efe:85.226.199.174%13

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:55e2:c7ae::55e2:c7ae
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

C:\Users\Magnus>

there are no arp entries for anything on my lan either

C:\test> arp -a

Interface: 169.254.83.30 --- 0x9
Internet Address Physical Address Type
169.254.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static

Interface: 85.226.199.174 --- 0xa
Internet Address Physical Address Type
85.226.199.129 00-00-0c-07-ac-01 dynamic
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static

C:\test

magnush
Robert L [MVP - Networking]
2007-09-04 13:20:00 UTC
Sounds like incompatible issue. This link may help,

Vista compatible issuesSome switches or routers may not compatible with Vista – Solutions: upgrade the firmware, disable the IPv6, re-configure the speed, and setup TCP/IP ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"magnush" <***@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message news:***@no-mx.forums.net...

I have exactly the same problem.

My nic is an onboard one from an asus p5k motherboard:
Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T
driver is atl01v64.sys

Windows Vista 64bit
It worked at first, then after a failed bios upgrading and reflashing
with eprom burner it stopped working. All I get now is Unidentified
network. I have reinstalled the drivers in every way possible, I have
removed the allow windows to shut it down. I have entered a mac address
as a preset in the card config, I have unchecked ipv6 but nothing seems
to have an effect.

I have a physical firewall and that has been rebooted, it has been
shutoff for half an hour, I have tried without it but to no avail. I can
see that I am sending packets but I am not receiving any. I only get the
169.. adress. I have entered a correct ip address in the tcp/ip settings
with and without gateway yet am unable to ping anything on my lan (same
thing, sending packets not receiving any).

I use an usb wireless card from zyxel, that is what gives me internet
access atm but I am not overly fond of wireless, in fact I loath it.

What I do have are tunnel interfaces, dont know what they are for?

C:\Users\Magnus>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d4d7:3e7d:4b9a:bba8%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 85.226.199.xx removed on
[...]

C:\test>

magnush
magnush
2007-09-04 14:28:53 UTC
It is solved for my part. Bought a new nic and that was it.

Actually I "borrowed" a really old intel pro 100 from work.

So there you go, get yourself a nic if you have my problem. Looked
around in stores and they were as low as 10-15$
magnush
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

magnush
crimson||voldrox
2008-06-04 04:39:07 UTC
Even I had the problem, network was unidentified and received absolutel
no packets, I tried everything I read in the internet(disabling tcp/ipv
etc etc), nothing worked for me.:cry: I run win vista home premium

However I found the solution myself:geek
This is what I did, and hope it works for many out there suffering th
unidentified network crysis

Go to network and sharing center > unidentified network view status
properties > network adaptor configure > advanced > networ
address(uncheck not present and put your network address, I put m
tcp/ipv4 default gateway ip and it worked for me) > ok ok etc :party

alternate route(but the same change made);
desktop > my computer > properties(in right options) > devic
manager(left top on screen) > network adaptors > there are tw
adaptors(for me it was broadcom 802.11 a/b/g WLAN and nvidia nforc
networking controller) > double click on nvidia nforce networkin
controller(if you are using LAN) > advanced > network address(unchec
not present and put your network address, I put my tcp/ipv4 defaul
gateway ip and it worked for me) > ok ok etc :party

Hope you find it useful:
I believe this solution would work for you if in your networ
address(network adaptor section) the not present option wa
checked(might have happened due to the computer restoring to an earlie
working restore point or if you have format your system)

crimson||voldrox
Robert L. (MS-MVP)
2008-06-04 13:23:06 UTC
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
unidentified network crysis.
Go to network and sharing center > unidentified network view status >
properties > network adaptor configure > advanced > network
address(uncheck not present and put your network address, I put my
alternate route(but the same change made);)
desktop > my computer > properties(in right options) > device
manager(left top on screen) > network adaptors > there are two
adaptors(for me it was broadcom 802.11 a/b/g WLAN and nvidia nforce
networking controller) > double click on nvidia nforce networking
controller(if you are using LAN) > advanced > network address(uncheck
not present and put your network address, I put my tcp/ipv4 default
Hope you find it useful:)
I believe this solution would work for you if in your network
address(network adaptor section) the not present option was
checked(might have happened due to the computer restoring to an earlier